Saturday, December 25, 2010

Friday, 24th December 2010


Well, I finally got my candycane.

Beautifully coloured in vibrant red, green and white, it's peppermint flavoured, and two cost me a dollar. What luck :)

I've been rather desperate for a candycane since I missed the chance to buy one last year. I still haven't taken the first lick, so my tongue is still itching for a taste.

I used to wish my family's christmases would be so typical: huge decorated christmas tree with brightly-wrapped presents under it, christmas cookies and other sweets in the kitchen, turkey on the dining table, everyone just coming together to give and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ.
Only it wasn't to be.

My family's christmases have always been about food.
They've always been too lazy to cook for Christmas, and so we've always had order-in. Pizza, KFC, garlic bread, you name it. I've never had turkey.

Mom and Dad are kind of against any religion, so they obviously wouldn't celebrate Christmas being the birth of Christ. For them, anything is about food. Travel is about food, celebration is about food, birthdays are about food. I don't know what to say, I guess they just like to eat.

To this day I still wish for that typical Christmas. Fireplace alight, christmas tree in the corner, candycanes in socks, turkey and mash on the table, carols on the porch, cookies in the oven, candy on the counter, presents to open.

I wore my cargo pants out today.
I can't remember the last time I felt so happy and comfortable. My cramps immediately vanished into comforting space, my body could breathe, my soul was free.
I felt myself again.

Merry Christmas.

No comments: