Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Taking risks


I think it's high time I do a post about taking risks.

This morning I was riding in the car, and going through my record of friends in my head, and I had the horrible epiphany that most of them aren't risk-takers. Not in the very least, if I may add.

Risks are not about smoking, drugs or lying in the middle of the road and shouting "YOLO". No, that's called being stupid. You only living once doesn't mean you do anything stupid that might shorten your life. Risks are about trying new things, daring to experience. Let me start off with a few examples.

My Honey dared to tell me his feelings, and next April will be start of our forth year together. ;)

That nerdy doctor whom I thought was cute but didn't speak a word to me? On my last week of work I panicked like heck trying to think of what to say to him, how to give him a lemon muffin I baked, and how to deal with it should he reject it. As you all know, I take rejection harshly. I know it's a problem, I know, I know, but how do I get rid of that fear?
Well anyway, after several days (days!) of worrying and sleepless nights, I finally forced myself to just knock on his door and give him the muffin. We ended up chatting for a bit, and he was very grateful! I earned that smile.
I knew if I didn't take that risk, I'd spend forever wondering "what if?".

My latest risk-taking session was this morning, as a matter of fact. Mr Sexy Hands has, obviously, terribly beautiful hands, but has this black face wherever he goes. This puts most people off from speaking to him, because who wants to talk to someone grumpy? He avoids eye contact in the corridors. He's a good teacher, though. In the mornings he comes to school with his earphones plugged into his ears and refuses to talk to anyone until he's had his morning coffee or something. I dread bumping into him because it's always an awkward moment with that glare of his, but I'm always ogling his hands.
So this morning I was walking towards the library from the labs after chucking my jogging gear into my locker, and I was minding my own business, really, with this beautiful choral piece playing in my head. Here comes this attitude-swagger my way with (surprise!) earphones plugged in. He was heading to the coffee machine. I'm walking, walking, and he definitely sees me, so what the heck, I wave.
A look of surprise flashed across his usually-grumpy face! Of course it recovered as quickly as it could, but he gave me a small wave. AHA!

Take that, you people!
Risks you take don't always work out, but I have to say, most of the time, they do. And when they do, they really make your day. If they don't, oh well, try again next time. Maybe that guy you're trying to talk to will be in a better mood another day. Maybe the new job will be more than what you hoped for. If it doesn't turn out the way you want, know that you always have the power to make new decisions to achieve what you want.

Don't spend forever wondering "what if I did?"

Fly, my pretties, fly!

No comments: