Saturday, May 29, 2010

Friday, 28th May 2010


I think I have a fetish for all things antique.

I have yet to be cured of my obsession for old typewriters. They may be more difficult to type flawlessly with, and I know I should be glad I have a computer to do that, but I just can't help feeling a part of me is missing.

My friends used to tell me I was born in the wrong century. I should have been born at least a hundred to three hundred years ago. Think of all the things I could have done; I could have watched and heard Farinelli sing, I could have met Mozart himself, I could have seen Charlie Chaplin perform live, I could have attended Oscar Wilde's hearing, I could have talked on an antique telephone, I could have been part of the Little Rascals, I could have been alive when Elvis became a sensation, I could have attended a Bob Marley concert. Perhaps I should have been born thousands of years ago, I could have lived in Ancient Egypt or experienced sorcery.

Sometimes, I feel I'd done them all. I had been there, seen it all. Then, I feel the empty space in my heart aching, aching for what was there before. I want to go back.

What's great about the world now? It's all concrete, cold and hard, unsympathetic. Truth be told, the world was never sympathetic before, but at least there were people who loved the world.

No comments: