Thursday, January 28, 2010

Thursday, January 28th 2010


I had a moment of clarity the second I opened my eyes this morning.
When I was Sec 4, I had a Biology test to study for. All through the years before that, I could never be bothered with the confusing components of the human heart. I could never name them, for some strange reason. There were just too many long names. So, it presented itself as a challenge for me. This upcoming Biology test was on the human heart, it's components, functions, blood and blood vessels. Basically, the circulatory system in mammals. Anyway, the test was the very next day, and that night, I was at "night-study" for my 'N' levels. I decided to study for it.
I made sure I memorised all the placements and components of the heart and blood, exactly which side of the heart, which vessel leads to where, de-oxygenated or oxygenated. By the next morning I could remember it all by heart, and got people to test me on it. When the test eventually came, I aced it. From them on, I realised that I love Biology because I can do it well if I try. Then, came Hannibal Lecter.

I had watched "Silence of the Lambs" before, but it didn't really interest me that much. The film wasn't actually about Hannibal himself, but more about Clarice hunting down another killer, Buffalo Bill. Then, came "Hannibal Rising". That got me started on the whole series. I love the artwork in it, and the part where he slices open a heart is just fascinating.
I got my inspiration from there. I started studying hard for Biology and setting out my plans for the future- to get into the medical line of studies, go to University and eventually Medical School. The road will be a long and very tough one, but I've already started. Now that I'm finally in my course of choice, I'll work towards University.

I originally wanted to attend Medical School in Edinburgh, but now it's University education seems like the perfect challenge. I considered the most prestigious Universities like Cambridge and Oxford, but I don't think I can make it. Temasek Poly is recognised by Uni of Edinburgh, so it shouldn't be too difficult. All I have to do is commit my time to studies and put in effort to do well, but not forgetting CCAs and some volunteer work. If I start working hard in Year 1, it should be do-able.

Now, Temasek Poly. Next stop, University of Edinburgh!

No comments: