Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Tuesday, March 2nd 2010





Nostalgia!

I stumbled upon these episodes of Tom and Jerry and I want to share them.
I used to watch a hell lot of Tom and Jerry, and am trying to get back to watching them again. They taught me so much when I was young, I owe most of my childhood to it. These are two of my favourite episodes, there are several more but I will post them in good time.

The first is called "Johann Mouse", where Tom learns to play "The Blue Danube" by Johann Strauss. My favourite part is when Tom picks up this manual "How to play the waltz in six easy lessons by Johann Strauss", rushes to the attic to learn it. The manual teaches the player to play the first 8 notes of the piece, in six lessons. Tom goes through all six at one shot, and, after learning to play the first 8 notes, flings the manual aside and starts to play the whole thing. He suddenly becomes a fantastic pianist. It's simply hilarious!
The second is called "Cat and Dupli-Cat", in which Tom and Jerry sing "Santa Lucia". Notice how Tom's singing is breathtaking and how Jerry's screechy version contrasts with it. I love the artwork and the humour, how they stretch out their hands when they're holding the long note, how they're sailing in a bucket and a teacup.

No comments: